60 Second Spotlight

Alexandra Slaid

Picasso’s Open Mic Night

Coffee and conversation are taken to a new level at Picasso’s. Open Mic Night takes place every Thursday evening from 7:00 PM to midnight. The cliché “homey coffee shop” atmosphere is rightfully present as both the coffee and the friendly workers warm you right up. Each night is different and every performer is unpredictable, varying from soft acoustic melodies to loud aggressive screamo (a tip for the deafening vocalists: step away from the mic). On the other hand, it is a lovely way to meet new people. If you are interested in singing, playing an instrument or even reciting your own poem, make sure to arrive before 6:30 PM – the sign-up sheet fills quickly!

A New Age of Nail Polish

So, a girl walks into a bar…but this time, she’s extra prepared to face the dangers of the night with this nail polish. Undercover Covers created the ideal nail polish for girls. All it takes is dipping a finger into whatever beverage and the presence of date-rape drugs triggers a change in the nail color. The nail polish industry has also expanded to fast food. The Hong Kong KFC marketing campaign went as far as creating their own “finger-lickin’ good” nail polish. It comes only in two flavors: Original and Hot & Spicy. Looking for a snack? This chicken-flavored lacquer is sure to fill you up. What else can nail polish innovation have in store?

Flying to New Heights: Altitude

Altitude Trampoline Park in O’Fallon offers an endless amount of fun ranging from foam pits to trampolines.  The new hotspot is located right next to Pantera’s Pizza off of Veteran’s Memorial Parkway, conveniently close to St. Dominic’s campus.

“We have Olympic trampolines imported from Germany that enable you to jump really high. People do crazy tricks on them all the time,” said senior Riley Kirchner, who works at Altitude.

With basketball dunking lanes, gymnastics tumble tracks and dodgeball tournaments, what more could you ask for? Watch out Skyzone, you’ve got some competition!

About the Writer
Alexandra Slaid, Staff Writer
Alexandra is a senior at St. Dominic High School. Aside from singing in the choir, she is involved in AD club and bowling club. In her free time, she enjoys spending time with her sister, cat, and friends. Alex loves watching That 70s Show and re-reading the Harry Potter series. Her biggest weakness is drinking...