Avengers Record Breaking Movie

Back to Article
Back to Article

Avengers Record Breaking Movie

Market Watch

Market Watch

Market Watch

Darby Duncan, Media Editor

After 11 years and 22 movies, Marvel is still breaking major records with the release of Avengers: Endgame. Costing $350 million to produce and bringing together some of Hollywood’s biggest stars, including Robert Downey Jr., Chris Hemsworth, Tom Holland and many more, Avengers: Endgame has been one of the most major films of all time.

The movie was released on April 26, 2019 across the U.S. and is well on its way to becoming the biggest movie of all time. After only two weeks, Endgame has already broken six major records and is close to breaking even more.

Before the movie was even released, it was breaking records. Endgame passed the 2015 film Star Wars: The Force Awakens for biggest first week amd first day pre-sales on Fandango. They had to create a “holding room” for customers to avoid the cite crashing. Along with Fandango, Avengers also broke the record for most pre-sale tickets at an AMC theater. This resulted in multiple AMCs staying open for 24 hours Thursday through Sunday.

After being released, Avengers broke the record for the biggest opening weekend of all time in the U.S, grossing $356 million. It also broke the record for Thursday previews with $60 million and had the biggest opening day ever with $157 million, passing Star Wars: The Force Awakens for all three of these records.

Endgame is not only breaking records in the U.S., but also worldwide. It had the biggest opening day in China, grossing $107.2 million. It also had the biggest global opening of all time, grossing $1.2 billion. After only 11 days, Avengers has hit $2 billion worldwide, making it the fastest film to do so.

Avengers: Endgame is already a huge success and quickly on its way to becoming the top film of all time. Currently it is the second biggest film of all time, having passed Titanic in only 11 days. However, since 2009, Avatar has held the record for biggest movie, grossing $2.79 billion worldwide. So far Endgame has collected $2.24 billion worldwide. As of now, it is not known if Avengers will pass Avatar; however, if it keeps moving at this rate, it is very likely.  

About the Writer
Darby Duncan, Media Editor

Darby Duncan is a junior here at St. Dominic. She is involved in CRU, pro-life club, chamber choir and theater. She is also involved in softball, lacrosse...