Swinging Towards State

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swinging Towards State

Christian Hall, Staff Writer

The St. Dominic boys’ golf team competed in the Missouri high school golf sectional tournament on Monday, May 6, sending Joey Fuchs, Bryce Kelley and Kyle Kelley to compete in the state tournament.

Coming out of the regular season with a 6-3 record in dual matches, the boys’ golf team continued their dominance into districts. Seniors Joey Fuchs and Tony Povich, as well as sophomores Bryce Kelley, Kyle Kelley and Sam Povich moved onto sectionals. Fuchs was the top St. Dominic player with a score of 81.

Moving on to the sectional tournament, Fuchs (79), B. Kelley (81) and K. Kelley (82) qualified for the state tournament in Columbia, Missouri on May 13 and 14.

“I’m super excited about being there (state) and being with all the guys who have made it this far because it is special. I’m not really nervous because I feel I have nothing to lose and feel I can go out there and just try my hardest,” Fuchs said.

The boys would like to thank Coach Matusiak for a great season.

“I would like to add that Doc is a beast coach and a great mentor. I’m glad he was my coach for the past three years and I feel I’ve created a great relationship with my coach,” Fuchs said.

After a long season with many ups and downs, the golf team is taking one final swing in the state tournament. Wish the three boys luck as they compete in the state tournament at Columbia Country Club next Monday and Tuesday.