Setting Up for Success

Back to Article
Back to Article

Setting Up for Success

Christian Hall, Staff Writer

Boys volleyball is leaving it all on the court this season, defeating tough opponents and showing the Class 3 competition that they are here to win.

The program includes talent from returning veterans to several new players entering. Varsity has found their groove, beating several high ranked teams and leaving them with a 8-5 record so far. Coaches Maggie Allen and Lyn Zelnis are pleased with the improvement from both the JV and varsity teams.

“Varsity has been improving by working together as a team. Every player has a role and is contributing to the team’s success. JV has a lot of new volleyball players that have been working hard to develop their skills and learn the game. It has been fun to watch both teams grow and develop so quickly!” Zelnis said.

The team is working harder than ever to make it to state. After falling short the past few years in the state tournament, the team is striving for a better outcome this season. The team has showed they mean business, earning themselves a spot in the top ten Class 3 rankings.

“We practice to win state. We watch film to win state. We study statistics to win state. We might have to get worse before we improve, but every action is an investment to reach our highest performance,” Sutterer said.

Part of the team’s success comes from having nine talented seniors on the roster, with eight of them playing together all four years. Accompanying them are sophomores Brody Luetkenhaus and Jacob Schwendeman, who both got pulled up to the varsity team during districts last year. Team captains Kyle Pajda and Jeremy Sutterer have found leading the team to be easier this year, due to their players.

“Our leadership looks a little different than last year with so much of the team being seniors. Since everyone knows what they are supposed to do, we are mostly leading through our effort on the court and keeping each other focused on our goals,” Sutterer said.

Make sure to come out and support these boys at their next home game on Tuesday, April 9 against conference rival St. Francis Borgia at 4:00 p.m. for JV and 5:00 p.m. for varsity in the Fallon Family Center.

About the Contributors
Christian Hall, Staff Writer

Christian Hall is a junior here at St. Dominic. He is involved in Ambassador Leadership Team, Outreach Club, Peer Mentors, Pro-Life Club and manages the...

Delaney Wehde, Media Editor

Delaney Wehde, a junior here at St. Dominic, is very involved in theatre, chamber choir and a plethora of other clubs and activities. Outside of school...