Hottest True Crime Shows on Netflix Now

Back to Article
Back to Article

Hottest True Crime Shows on Netflix Now

Courtesy of Netflix

Courtesy of Netflix

Courtesy of Netflix

Do you ever find yourself in the mood for a good crime show binge? If so, Netflix has you covered. From television dramas to real life serial killer documentaries, Netflix is home to an amazing amount of crime shows to fit your taste. Below is a list of some of the hottest true crime shows on Netflix in 2019 so far.

1: The Ted Bundy Tapes

This series definitely tops the list. Ted Bundy is one of America’s most infamous serial killers of all time. He was also a kidnapper, rapist and burglar. He was an active murderer during the 1970s and is responsible for the deaths of over 30 young women in seven states. The Ted Bundy Tapes not only highlight his story and individual murders, but they include actual audio footage of Bundy’s side of the story soon before he died by the death penalty. While chilling, this documentary series is packed with on the edge-of-your-seat moments and doesn’t have a single dull minute. This four-episode series is a must-watch if you are interested in infamous serial killers.

2: Abducted in Plain Sight

The scene is set in Pocatello, Idaho in the 1970s. Jan Broberg, a 12-year-old girl, was kidnapped by her family friend, 38-year-old Bob Berchtold. Jan’s and Bob’s families were neighbors and often spent a lot of time together, when Jan and Bob grew an unusual attachment to each other. Bob had an odd obsession with Jan despite him being nearly 30 years older; yet, Jan encouraged it by claiming she was in love with him as well. Jan was abducted by him twice, both times being extremely avoidable cases for Jan’s parents. The documentary highlights the creepy kidnappings as well as the interesting story behind involving the families. Watching this will anger you as well as fascinate you. This documentary shows a unique, eye-opening, and frustrating case that has been widely enjoyed by Netflix viewers this year.

3: Making a Murderer

This series shares the story of Steven Avery, who was a man from Manitowoc County, Wisconsin. Avery served 18 years in prison for the false conviction of sexual assault and murder of a woman. Once exonerated, Avery sued Manitowoc County and those involved in his arrest. However, not long after his release he was tried again in 2005 and convicted in 2007 for the murder of photographer Teresa Halbach with his nephew Brendan Dassey. There are two seasons; the first season highlights Avery’s first false conviction, time in prison, release, and second trial with his nephew. The second season goes over the aftermath of these cases and focuses primarily on Avery’s and Dassey’s families and the investigations. With an 85% on Rotten Tomatoes and an interesting backstory, this show is definitely worth the watch.

4: Evil Genius

The final show making the list today is Evil Genius. The baffling story begins in 2003 in Erie, Pennsylvania when went an unsuccessful robbery became the infamous murder of Brian Wells. Wells was the attempted robber; however, he had a bomb locked around his neck during the crime. He was surrounded by police men when the explosive collar detonated and he was killed. The extremely odd case make everyone question the motives of Wells, and was someone else behind the crime? This four-part series focuses on the strange robbery and who else was involved.

With these four shows being some of the hottest right now, Netflix is booming with dozens of amazing crime documentaries. For anyone interested in this genre make sure to look into these shows—you won’t be disappointed!