The Podcast Explosion

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Podcast Explosion

Apple

Apple

Apple

Andrew Faucher, Staff Writer

In the age of big-budget cinematic extravaganzas with flashy visuals and eye-popping colors, the best entertainment can be found where there is nothing but sound. Podcasts have exploded onto the scene in recent months, with topics in just about every genre conceivable. The audio shows take a step back to the glory days of radio, and the results have been spectacular.

Podcasts are so varied in content that it would be hard not to find something for everyone to enjoy. Whether you’re searching for educational materials, hot sports takes or comedic shows, there is a podcast for you. Not only is there a variety of content available, but they are easily accessible. Podcasts can be found on the Podcast app, Spotify, YouTube and SoundCloud.

Are you in the mood to learn some abstract facts and get educated? Check out one of the hundreds of educational podcasts available such as Radiolab or Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History. I personally listened to the latter consistently over the summer to pass time during traveling. I would highly recommend it to anyone in search of a very in depth view of world history.

Not all podcasts are meant to educate, as some are all about entertainment. ESPN has spawned dozens of sports-centered podcasts for the everyday listener, such as PTI, Baseball Tonight and Jalen and Jacoby. No matter the sport, there will be a podcast to detail the intricacies and latest moves within the game.

Perhaps the most popular genre of podcasts out there belongs to YouTubers. Just about every online creator has conjured up their own personal podcast for their fans. Most YouTuber podcasts are centered around comedy, with Views with David Dobrik & Jason Nash and the SuperMegaCast by SuperMega creating gut-busting laughter across the nation.

The idea of a podcast opens up so many more avenues for creators, allowing for a more personal connection with viewers. The lack of a visual aspect strips down the shows into something much more simple. This relatability has even drawn in members of our own community, with senior Jack Barger appearing on The Z-Boys podcast this month.

“I think that without the need for visuals, it makes a podcast seem much more relatable. There’s not that disconnect between the entertainer and the viewer because it just feels like a conversation between friends,” Barger said.

The recent exponential growth of podcasts is impressive, yet unsurprising. Podcasts have all the right tools for success if done right, and I think we’re all happy with the results.

About the Writer
Andrew Faucher, Staff Writer

Andrew Faucher is a senior here at St. Dominic High School. He has been involved in Youth and Government, French Club and Empower Student Club. He is going...