The SADdest Time of the Year

Back to Article
Back to Article

The SADdest Time of the Year

Image created by Delaney Wehde

Image created by Delaney Wehde

Delaney Wehde

Image created by Delaney Wehde

Delaney Wehde

Delaney Wehde

Image created by Delaney Wehde

Christian Hall, Staff Writer

Although it may be “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” for some, the Winter Blues have begun to settle on the shoulders of many. Seasonal Affective Disorder, also known as seasonal depression, is a disorder in which the weather affects the mood of people, making them anxious and fatigued.

With the days shorter and less sunshine, seasonal depression kicks in. The lack of Vitamin D from the sun causes people to become more sluggish. Along with lack of energy, victims tend to overeat and crave carbohydrates. Another factor is age. Younger people are more likely to develop seasonal depression compared to those who are older.

High school students feel seasonal depression late fall to early spring. With jobs, sports, activities and schoolwork, the dismal weather sends some students over the edge. Like the semester, the bitter, dark weather never seems to end. The hallways begin to fill with zombie-like students with looks of fatigue on their pale faces.

Although seasonal affective depression may bring some down, it is still treatable. Light therapy, or exposure to artificial light, helps to replace the lost sunlight. Another solution is psychotherapy. It is a technique where you take negative thoughts and replace them with a happier mindset through engaging in daily positive activities.

If the winter blues have you down, make sure to talk to someone and get as much sunlight as possible. Although the winter season may feel dull and long, we are only a few months away from a sunnier spring.

Source used: https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/seasonal-affective-disorder/index.shtml

About the Contributors
Christian Hall, Staff Writer

Christian Hall is a junior here at St. Dominic. He is involved in Ambassador Leadership Team, Outreach Club, Peer Mentors, Pro-Life Club and manages the...

Delaney Wehde, Media Editor

Delaney Wehde, a junior here at St. Dominic, is very involved in theatre, chamber choir and a plethora of other clubs and activities. Outside of school...