The Island of Misfit Gifts

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Island of Misfit Gifts

From Frostbeard Studio

From Frostbeard Studio

Frostbeard Studio

From Frostbeard Studio

Frostbeard Studio

Frostbeard Studio

From Frostbeard Studio

Nick Bone, Staff Writer

Even though Christmas has passed and the new year has come, some St. Dominic students and teachers are still enjoying some pretty unusual gifts.

Senior Alex Wilmes

Alex Wilmes received quite a shaky gift this year for Christmas, literally. Wilmes, like many other high schoolers, has a lot of trouble getting out of bed in the morning. Realizing her daughter’s struggles, Alex’s mother bought her an alarm clock that vibrates her bed violently to wake her up.

“This is just the weirdest gift I think I’ve ever received by far,” said Wilmes.

Mr. Winkelmann

Mr. Winkelmann openly admits to enjoying weird gifts, but this next gift leaves me saying “why?” Mr. Winkelmann’s mom bought him a box, but not just any box. When you try to open it, a rat shoots out. While the gift was originally for Winkelmann, someone else now enjoys the gag gift.

“I’m kind of over it, but my son Jack still loves it. Even though it’s just a large box with a rat in it, seeing my son so happy about it brings me joy,” said Winkelmann.

Junior Cam Peters

While many kids are freaking out about their brand new game consoles, one junior seems to be clinging to something a little more retro.

Cam Peters had one request for Santa this Christmas— to get a PlayStation2. Yes, you read that right, the console that came out in 2000 before Peters was even born.

Looks like Peters was a good boy last year, because his Christmas wish came true. Wipe the dust off that baby and get on that vintage game grind, Cam!

Senior Madelyn Roettger

There’s nothing like opening up an old book and giving it a big ole sniff. Madelyn Roettger surely agrees. In fact, she loves it so much her uncle bought her an old book-scented candle for Christmas.

She no longer has to dig her nose into her favorite book to enjoy the lovely aroma of the old pages because her whole room smells like it!

Nick Bone (Me)

This Christmas was a special one for me. After loaning my brother my beloved camouflaged crocs in the summertime, I finally got them back, but not in a way you’d expect.

My brother Josh came over for Christmas holding a fairly large box with my name on it. Excitedly, I tore it open only to find the crocs that I had lended him ages ago… Quite a thoughtful gift, huh?

The most wonderful time of the year has passed, but we know that our St. Dominic students and teachers will be enjoying their quirky gifts for months to come.

About the Writer
Nick Bone, Staff Writer

Nick Bone is a senior at St. Dominic. He is involved in Peer Ministry, AD Club, varsity baseball and is the president of the Ambassadors club. In his free...