Government Shutdown Drags On To Day 14

Back to Article
Back to Article

Government Shutdown Drags On To Day 14

Chip Somodevilla

Chip Somodevilla

Chip Somodevilla

Maria Klassen, Copy Editor

After nearly 14 long days, there appears to be no end in sight for what will soon be remembered as one of the longest government shutdowns in U.S. history.

Since December 21, many federal agencies and services have been shut down and employees have been furloughed until Congress and the President can come to an agreement about budgets and funding for our government.

Currently, President Trump has refused to approve any plan that does not include a $5.6 billion allotment to begin construction of a border wall between the United States and Mexico.

The President met with several Congressional leaders on Wednesday and will meet again on Friday, as Congress will not agree to settle the amount that Trump demands on the border wall, and no foreseeable compromise has been presented.

However, today marked the day that control of the House turned over to the Democratic party, and new Speaker Nancy Pelosi maintains that they will vote to reopen the government.

“The President is using the government shutdown to try to force an expensive and ineffective wall upon the American people, but Democrats have offered two bills which separate the arguments over the wall from the government shutdown,” said Pelosi.

As of right now, the House has passed two bills to reopen and fund parts of the government that are currently shut down without allocating money for the border wall. The President has stated that he will veto these bills should they pass through the Senate.

In the meantime, many government employees will go unpaid and many national parks, government agencies and state services will remain closed as they wait for the reappropriation of funds by Congress and President Trump.

About the Writer
Maria Klassen, Copy Editor

Maria Klassen is a junior at St. Dominic. She is a part of theater, chamber choir, jazz band and pro-life club. Her favorite activities include making...