Beautifying St. Louis

Back to Article
Back to Article

Beautifying St. Louis

Junior Annie McLoughlin painting her mural.

Darby Duncan

Darby Duncan

Darby Duncan

Wade Howdeshell, Staff Writer

Junior Annie McLoughlin has been selected to design a unique mural on the wall of Gateway 180 Homeless Services. She is dedicated to this project and with the inspiration of  St. Louis’ grand skyline and the assistance of the people working with her, the future masterpiece is bound to brighten many people’s day. 

McLoughlin first heard about this opportunity while volunteering at Gateway 180. Though there was fierce competition, McLoughlin’s mural design was chosen as the winner.

Being selected to paint the mural was only the first step in McLoughlin’s project. Painting a mural requires a lot of work and dedication. McLoughlin has had several helpers and contributors who have provided her with extra hands on the job, as well as tips and recommendations to make the painting as beautiful as possible. Artists who she has worked with have given their thoughts and constructive criticism, but they are not the only people who have given her advice. She received some requests from some of the resident children themselves.

“The kids at the shelter were talking about the wall and they said they wanted an animal, and that wasn’t in my previous sketch, so I gave them three ideas: a zebra, peacock or lion to choose from, and all the kids in the shelter got to vote,” said McLoughlin.

The features of McLoughlin’s mural include some of the most notable places in St. Louis: the Arch, Busch Stadium and the zoo. Her goal is to depict the landmarks that St. Louis is known for—the places that make a statement about who St. Louisans are.

McLoughlin’s experience has given her an opportunity to share her talent with a larger community. She has some advice for other aspiring artists who would like to do the same.

“Just keep trying! There is a lot of opportunities out there for artwork,” said McLoughlin.

McLoughlin’s mural has certainly been a great way to demonstrate her talent and brighten other people’s day while doing it. On your next trip to St. Louis, be sure to head to 1000 19th Street to check out McLoughlin’s mural at Gateway 180!

About the Contributors
Wade Howdeshell, Staff Writer

Wade Howdeshell is a junior here at Saint Dominic. He is a member of Band, A.D. Club, Model U.N., and Culture Club. Outside of school, you can find him...

Darby Duncan, Media Editor

Darby Duncan is a junior here at St. Dominic. She is involved in CRU, pro-life club, chamber choir and theater. She is also involved in softball, lacrosse...