One Leaky Trench: Twenty One Pilots Album Review

Payton Eggering, Staff Writer

Friday, October 5 is a big day for all Twenty One Pilots fans. After over a year of silence from the band and three years since an album release, fans are finally getting a new album called Trench. Between the singles that have been released and the interviews of the duo from Ohio, it sounds like this is going to be one of their best albums.

The album has a concept story hidden within its lyrics, describing a place named Dema and introducing a character named Nico. Lead singer and songwriter Tyler Joseph has said in interviews that this album is linked to one of their other albums, Blurryface. As a listener, the messages from the previous album are still there; however, their sound is completely unique from any other album released before.

Each of the fourteen tracks have a different sound, yet they all flow together like a beautiful symphony. From the grungy bassline of “Jumpsuit” to the upbeat feel of “Smithereens” to the melancholy piano of “Leave the City,” Twenty One Pilots have shown their expertise in any genre. One song in particular, “Neon Gravestones,” touches on the subject of suicide, sending a clear message of how the subject should and should not be handled.

Since this album has been highly anticipated for at least a year, when the boys left, there were many eyes looking for any sort of hint to whether or not the album would drop sooner than Friday. All of their prayers were answered when a fan bought the album Thursday, September 27, over a week before the initial release date. After that, low quality leaks ensued. Then, on Tuesday, October 2, there was a file released named “Not Trench,” which was a high quality version of the full album. The very next day, the band did a livestream addressing the whole situation.

“If you indulged in the leak… You owe us when this record comes out,” said Joseph.

Both band members said they weren’t mad about it; however, they do want those who have listened to it to be aware that they will need to promote the album for the band’s sake.

Overall, this album was amazing and moved me to tears. The unique sound that each song carries brings you to a different place each time, not to mention that the colors for this new era are very aesthetically pleasing.

Rating: 10/10

Stream on Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/album/621cXqrTSSJi1WqDMSLmbL?si=5NvXOUJnRs-YHe5tNooIJQ

About the Writer
Payton Eggering, Staff Writer

Payton Eggering is a senior this year at St. Dominic High School. She will be starting her fourth year of theatre, her second year of NHS, and her first year of Chamber Choir this school year. Outside of school, she enjoys watching Youtube and going to concerts. Next year, she intends to study nursing at the University of Mary in North Dakota.

1 Comment

One Response to “One Leaky Trench: Twenty One Pilots Album Review”

1. Ms. Thomas on October 6th, 2018 6:52 am

Great job Payton! Great album too! I give it two thumbs up!!

• One Leaky Trench: Twenty One Pilots Album Review

Hurricane Lane Weakens to Tropical Storm; Islands Still Face Damages

Florida Red Tide Damaging Coastline

Earthquake Causes More Chaos Than Carnage

There’s No Place Like Home: Farewell Mrs. Eaton

Alex Cammarata—St. Dominic’s Newest Seminarian