Oh Deer, It’s Hunting Season

Carlie Wyant and Adam Wyant

Chuck Wyant

Carlie Wyant and Adam Wyant

Nick Bone, Staff Writer

Finally, the time of year so many have been waiting for — hunting season. September marks the beginning of deer and dove season, and many of our St. Dominic students have already partaken in the hunting festivities.

For so many, hunting is more than a sport. Hunting season is a magical time of year full of family traditions and the chance to grow closer to family members.

Junior Tyler Juergensmeyer

“My favorite part about hunting is spending time with my family. Everyone in my family lives several hours away from me, so when we go hunting it is quality bonding time for us,” said senior Carlie Wyant.

Hunting with family is an incredibly rewarding experience, especially when it is something a family has been doing for generations.

“Hunting is what my dad grew up doing so I watched him when I was a little kid. I always wanted to be like my father,” said junior Tyler Juergensmeyer.

While a lot of hunters go with family members, many also go with friends. Going with friends always increases the competition, but it can also make hunting so much more fun.

“Hunting is a passion that I’ve always had; it allows me to have fun with my friends while enjoying the creation around me,” said senior Tyler Torluemke.

Junior Tyler Torluemke

Many view hunting as an individualized sport; however, teamwork plays a huge factor in the success of many hunts. Families and friends work together to bring about the most successful harvest possible.

“I go hunting with my uncle. It means so much because he is passing down all the stuff he knows and does to me to make me a better hunter. We have to work together to learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses. We figured it out which has made us much more successful,” said senior Adam Belding.

Obviously everyone wants to have a great harvest and have fun, but that’s not what hunting is all about. One of the most enjoyable parts of hunting is simply being surrounded by nature.

There are so many sights to see while hunting. When the sun first comes up, all the squirrels awake from their slumber, and the silliness begins. It is so easy to get lost in the beauty of nature.

With deer hunting season peeking its head around the corner and dove season flying by, we wish our St. Dominic hunters a safe and successful season.

About the Writer
Nick Bone, Staff Writer

Nick Bone is a senior at St. Dominic. He is involved in Peer Ministry, AD Club, varsity baseball and is the president of the Ambassadors club. In his free...