The Post 9/11 Generation

Delaney Wehde, Staff Writer

The terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, turned the world upside down. In a matter of merely two hours, America as we know it was forever changed. Our generation knows nothing except for the post-9/11 world.

When the twin towers fell, the world watched in horror, anger and fear as the definition of normal transformed before their eyes. The generation of kids and teens who were infants or unborn during the 9/11 attacks have a different worldview than their parents and the other generations that came before them.

Although we hear stories about the atrocities of the falling of the twin towers, we cannot understand the impact it had on so many aspects of the American life.

We can’t remember a time when airport security was almost nonexistent or when war in the Middle East was not a norm.

Rosa Brooks, a Georgetown University lawyer, says that the 9/11 attacks shattered not only lives and property, but also the boundaries between war and peace (Thomson).

“Before 9/11, targeted killings, indefinite detention and government surveillance of communications would have been shocking and illegal. But in our new era of boundless war, almost anything goes,” said Brooks.

Ivo Daalder from the Chicago Council on Global Affairs argues that America has changed in two distinct, yet seemingly contradictory ways.

“Today, America is safer – and more fearful – than at any time since 9/11,” said Daalder.

Increased security has certainly decreased the risk of more acts of terror from happening in the United States but we as nation now also live with the looming fear of terrorism in our world.

As teens growing up in a fearful and uncertain world, we have learned, since childhood, of the effects of terrorism in our country. We are bogged down by the very real idea of terrorism in the world and we wonder what it is like when our country is not involved in a foreign war.

As a country, we are still experiencing the pain and uncertainties of 9/11. As a generation, we can use our unique perspective of the world we live in to make a difference.

Today, let us remember all those affected by the 9/11 attacks. Americans across the country are mourning the loss of family members and friends on today’s 17-year anniversary. May we always remember, grow from, and learn from this tragic attack on our nation.

Sources:

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/09/15-years-after-9-11-how-has-the-us-changed/

https://www.mindtools.com/blog/vuca-uncertain-world/

About the Writer
Delaney Wehde, Media Editor
Delaney Wehde, a junior here at St. Dominic, is very involved in theatre, chamber choir and a plethora of other clubs and activities. Outside of school her hobbies include taking photos, watching seven out of ten of the Children of the Corn films, drinking coffee and hanging out with her pigs. She once listened to the...
1 Comment

One Response to “The Post 9/11 Generation”

1. Joe Stout on September 13th, 2018 12:44 pm

Great article, Delaney.

• The Post 9/11 Generation

Hurricane Lane Weakens to Tropical Storm; Islands Still Face Damages

• The Post 9/11 Generation

Florida Red Tide Damaging Coastline

• The Post 9/11 Generation

Earthquake Causes More Chaos Than Carnage

• The Post 9/11 Generation

There’s No Place Like Home: Farewell Mrs. Eaton

• The Post 9/11 Generation

Alex Cammarata—St. Dominic’s Newest Seminarian

The Post 9/11 Generation