A Look Back at This School Year

Andrew Faucher, Staff Writer

As the 2017 – 18 school year nears its end, anticipations for summer continue to build. Before the student body enters full relaxation mode, let’s take a look back at this year’s highlights.

The start of the year was a wild ride for all members of the St. Dominic community due to big changes to the faculty. The man of the people, Mr. Jim Welby, has done a tremendous job as our new president. Mr. Kevin Roberts took over Mr. Welby’s old position of Athletic Director, and St. Dominic sports have thrived this year.

Athletics:

Many Crusader sports teams enjoyed success this year: girls softball advanced to the Class 3 State Tournament, girls volleyball embarked on a run to the Class 4 State Tournament, and the cheer team won first place at the AAA Conference Championship.

There are still teams looking to finish their seasons in triumph, with boys tennis starting their Class 1 Tournament on May 19, and girls soccer playing in the second districts on May 18.

Performing Arts:

As usual, the lights shined bright in the Performing Arts Center this year, with the theatre program putting on The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, the beloved A Christmas Carol and the heartwarming story Oklahoma! The performance of Oklahoma! received six St. Louis High School Musical Theatre Awards nominations. Winners will be announced on June 10 at The Fabulous Fox.

Not to be forgotten are the band and choir programs who both captured first place in every possible category at their annual band trip competition. Jazz Band scored an 86.25, Concert Band scored a 91 and Concert Choir scored a 97, all out of 100.

Clubs:

Countless meetings during Empower Hour have paid off for many of St. Dominic’s co-curricular clubs, with FBLA earning a spot in state competition and Mock Trial collecting many awards on their way to regionals. Co-curriculars aren’t all about the competition, as fun-loving clubs such as Bowling Club, Spanish Club, and Food Club all have put smiles onto the faces of St. Dominic students. One of St. Dominic’s newest clubs, Viri Dei, has provided students with an outlet to grow in their faith every day. Viri Dei even put on a talent show, in order to raise money for the Smiley For Kylie foundation!

As the 2017 – 18 school year wraps up, it is very evident that the entire St. Dominic community has grown through the ups and downs. We cannot wait to see what next year has in store.

About the Writer
Andrew Faucher, Staff Writer

Andrew Faucher is a senior here at St. Dominic High School. He has been involved in Youth and Government, French Club and Empower Student Club. He is going to be majoring in journalism at Colorado State University next year. In his free time, he enjoys watching baseball and hiking.