The Woman, The Myth, The Legend

Alexandra Slaid, Staff Writer

Tucked into a tiny office in the main hallway of St. Dominic sits the infamous Mrs. Darla Strecker, the fairy godmother of all your college preparatory needs. Whether it’s writing a recommendation letter or printing your transcript for a scholarship, Mrs. Strecker will go above and beyond to help you succeed in any pursuit.

Before Mrs. Strecker was a guidance counselor at St. Dominic, she worked as an academic advisor at a community college. Most days, she helped college students figure out which classes to take depending on their major or sorted through scholarship applications.

Mrs. Strecker’s background is a huge contributor to her success as a counselor for our juniors and seniors.

“It’s the same job, just on the other side of the desk. I know what people are looking for, because I was one of those people,” said Mrs. Strecker.

While she has endless loads of paperwork to occupy her, the students keep her on her toes.

“My favorite part of my job is talking to you guys. Everyone is different and has different challenges. I love learning new things from you guys because it teaches me how to do my job better,” said Mrs. Strecker.

Mrs. Strecker has created long-lasting relationships with her students over the years, especially our seniors. If there is one quality Mrs. Strecker values most in her role as a guidance counselor, it’s her supportiveness.

“Mrs. Strecker is a remarkable human being. She is incredibly invested in the lives of her students, ensuring she establishes a personal relationship with each member of the class. I know I can come to her with any challenges I may face,” said senior Grace Fink.

St. Dominic is blessed to call Mrs. Strecker our own. From uplifting messages to daily emails regarding scholarship opportunities, her devotion to our student body is a blessing.  We love you, Mrs. Strecker!