To Be or Not to Be?

Mr. Duncan

First she won the Shakespeare competition here at St. Dominic. From there, she moved on to a regional competition for area winners at Fontbonne University; she won that too. Then on April 23, in the National Shakespeare Competition against students from 55 cities across the USA, Kaitlyn Bross got to perform on stage at the Lincoln Center in New York City.

The Lincoln Center has been open since 1962. It is connected with the Juilliard School and the New York Philharmonic. Several big stars have started right on the stage where our very own Kaitlyn Bross got to perform a Shakespeare monologue and sonnet. It was truly an honor for her.

“I kept having to remind myself how crazy this was. I was literally performing on the Lincoln Center stage, which some people prepare their whole life to do,” said Bross.

This whole ordeal was not lost on Bross, who soaked up every minute.

“Honestly, this was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I couldn’t feel more blessed to stand on stage where professional actors and actresses have been performing for decades,” said Bross.

It was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that Kaitlyn wasn’t going to waste. She received a tour of Juilliard and had a workshop at NYU where she worked with an NYU professor to put together a skit with two Shakespeare quotes, a moment of silence, a line in another language, a surprise entrance and more. On top of all of this, Kaitlyn was able to bond with several other of the finalists.

“Being around 54 theatre enthusiasts was refreshing and rejuvenating. I got used to the people around me quoting Shakespeare like Vines,” said Bross.

Unfortunately, Kaitlyn didn’t finish in the top ten. However, cheering on her new friends was one of her favorite parts of the competition.

“I was cheering so loudly when they announced the first place winner of the competition. The boy who won, Jackson, was so kind and talented. I was so happy for him because he was such a genuine person who worked so hard to win,” said Bross.

The winner of the competition received a two-week long trip to London, but the prize for Kaitlyn was the fantastic experience. She had the time of her life and wouldn’t trade the memories for the world.

“Keeping my cool while performing against 54 other extremely talented individuals made me grow as a person and actress,” said Bross.

This was a perfect end to Kaitlyn’s high school career. A fantastic actress representing St. Dominic on one of the most historic stages in NYC–heck, somebody ought to write a play about it.